Magnificent 30cm wooden bowl, hand made in Bali, Indonesia
The tropical hardwood used here is known in Bali as «saur»: the botanical name is albizia saman.
This is the tree often also called the rain tree.
In the tropics these trees grow quickly and very easily but the resulting hardwood is robust and certainly very handsome.
12cm tall x 30cm diameter:
these are substantial bowls.
Large but not unduly heavy.
Choose from 3 designs....
Balibowl, «Storm» #11390 30cm diameter
Balibowl, «Monsoon» #11391 30cm diameter
Balibowl, «Raindrops» #11392 30cm diameter
Here's how each of these magnificent bowls is made:
1. Carefully select a log of sustainable-approved timber.
2. Saw the log to the required size.
3. Use a lathe to cut out the round bowl shape.
4. Now dry the bowl in a kiln so it is properly seasoned.
5. Sand the bowl, making all the surfaces smooth.
6. Mix a special adhesive of glue and sawdust and spread that onto the outside surfaces.
7. One by one, attach to the surface the decorative bits of bamboo or coconut shell that form the eventual pattern.
8. Smooth up the-surface with more glue and sawdust formula to build a regular and even surface.
9. Sand the new surface with a grinder and by hand, until it is really smooth.
10. Apply the finish.
Shipping charge only £3.50 per order to most UK addresses.
How much in
Click here for converter to 50 currencies.